THREE Royal Navy ships have been deployed to rescue stranded Britons – including 500 soldiers – from Spain.
The Warship HMS Albion arrived in Santander and salvaged 200 soldiers who had been employed in Afghanistan, as well as 200 British nationals.
HMS Ark Royal and HMS Ocean have also made the trip south to aid the operation.
A new luxury cruise ship even cancelled its inauguration celebrations in the English Channel to come to the aid of marooned holidaymakers in Bilbao.
“The plan is to make sure that we use southern Spain as a hub for the return of British people.”
It came after Prime Minister Gordon Brown struck a deal with Spanish leader Jose Luis Zapatero to use Spain as a focal point for the return of Britons.
British Foreign Secretary David Miliband said: “The plan is to make sure that we use southern Spain as a hub for the return of British people.”
Spain has also agreed to open up landing slots for planes initially scheduled to go to Britain.
It is hoped that travellers can then take alternative transport to Britain, if not by the warships, then via ferry, train or coach.
Hundreds of thousands of people are stranded in Andalucia alone as a giant Icelandic ash cloud engulfed Europe.
Up to 1000 flights were cancelled in the region, and almost 100,000 were shelved across Europe creating travel chaos.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00