FERNANDO Alonso took advantage of Lewis Hamilton’s bad luck to clinch second spot on the penultimate lap of the Spanish Grand Prix.
The Spaniard looked set to finish third before Britain’s Hamilton suffered an agonising puncture after a near-flawless drive.
Ferrari’s high-profile driver leapt up a place to finish behind winner, Australian Mark Webber in front of his home crowd in Barcelona.
Sebastian Vettel, Michael Schumacher, last-year’s champion Jenson Button and Felipe Massa completed the top six.
Spain’s Alonso explained: “It was a fantastic weekend for us, some unexpected positions. But we saw we need to improve the car.”
Despite his late retirement, Hamilton refused to be downbeat after a largely positive drive.
“I was just cruising to the finish line and it was great points for me, but then I blew a tyre,” said the 2008 world champion.
“That’s motor-racing, but it was quite a good race for me. I had really good fun out there.”
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58