MAIMED Spanish bullfighter Jose Tomas has jetted back to Gibraltar after being released from hospital in Mexico.
Tomas – who was seriously gored in his left thigh – touched down and headed to his Estepona home to continue his recovery.
“He managed a smile for his family and friends, who came to meet him.”
Less than two weeks ago the acclaimed Tomas, 34, required an eight-litre blood transfusion after suffering a six-inch deep gouge in his thigh.
An eyewitness at Gibraltar airport said: “He seemed a little thinner and is still using a wheelchair.
“However, he managed a smile for his family and friends, who came to meet him.”
Tomas’ rehabilitation will reportedly be helped by brother Antonio – physiotherapist and Estepona Union midfielder.
He had already made “great strides” in his recovery but has cancelled fights at Bilbao and Cordoba at the end of May.
But the battling Tomas is already considering making appearances in Madrid and Granada in June.
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58