AN elderly couple whose phone calls were overlapped and duplicated may now be hit with legal action.
A portion of the calls made by Anthony, 75, and Sandra Walker, 66, from Cartama, have been replicated on their Citrus Red bills since February.
The invoices have also bizarrely recorded a number of conversations being made at the same time.
Sussex-born Sandra is now refusing to pay her latest bill of 130.50 euros after discovering the bill blunder.
“There was a fault with the billing system but this tends to happen when you are billing thousands and thousands of people.”
However, the Alicante-based company insists it was a fault with the billing system which has now been rectified.
Citrus Red has now passed on the couple’s case to its legal team, following their refusal to pay the latest statement.
But Sandra, who has lived in Spain for eight years, is resolutely refusing to pay out for calls she now doubts were ever made at all.
“These bills are just not valid, there is no way of checking up on them,” she explained.
“They blame it on the accounts system but this is not a random error, this has happened for the past three bills.”
When Sandra rang the company to complain, she was offered 3.65 euros of credit.
“They have the cheek to give me 3.65 credit, while trying to charge me double,” she added.
However, Citrus Red managing director, David Grantham, insists that all efforts were made to correct the faulty bills.
“There was a fault with the billing system but this tends to happen when you are billing thousands and thousands of people,” he explained.
“We were willing to sort out the duplication issues but Sandra wanted the whole 130.50 euros cancelled.
“She requested disconnection and for her direct debit to be closed before hanging up. She would have had everything compensated in her next bill.”
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48