By Nicola Cowell
POLICE have ended the search for the missing Mijas hiker after 11 days.
But, family and friends of Juan Antonio Gómez Alcarcón are continuing to search for the ´experienced híker`, who disappeared on July 20 after going on a 2-day hike in the Mijas sierra.
The 32-year-old was last seen getting onto a bus in Fuengirola wearing light-coloured trousers with dark knee patches, but he was not carrying a mobile phone.
The Guardia Civil say they have now combed every inch of the Mijas sierra and there is no sign of the man.
More than 160 people were involved in the official search, which stretched as far as the Sierra de las Nieves and lasted for 11 days.
Now 400 family members and volunteers will split into 21 search groups to continue the search.
They have also issued posters and leaflets around Andalucia and say they will not give up until he is found.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00