By Wendy Williams
ANOTHER of Britain’s most wanted has been captured in Spain.
Alleged drug dealer, David Anthony Stuart, nicknamed ‘Catman’, was arrested on Tuesday in Barcelona, more than five years after he fled the country.
According to the Crimestoppers website it is believed he had been using the name of John among other aliases and was thought to be working here as a funeral director.
Police had begun hunting for the 35 year old fugitive from Accrington after he failed to attend his trial at Preston Crown Court in June 2005.
Stuart had originally been arrested in July 2004 for the possession of 20,000 ecstasy tablets.
And was subsequently charged with two offences; conspiracy to supply, and possession with intent to supply a Class A drug, which earned him a place on the most wanted list.
He now becomes the 36th person to be arrested from an original list of 50 included in Operación Captura led by the Serious Organised Crime Agency and Crimestoppers.
Director General of SOCA, Trevor Pearce, welcomed the arrest as “another excellent result for our partnership with Spain”.
He said: “It would seem that plenty of British fugitives and criminals still haven’t worked out that basing themselves in Spain is not a particularly smart move.
“We won’t stop coming after them – and the Spanish Police are more than happy to arrest them and get them sent back to the UK.”
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00