By Wendy Williams
ANOTHER of Britain’s most wanted has been captured in Spain.
Alleged drug dealer, David Anthony Stuart, nicknamed ‘Catman’, was arrested on Tuesday in Barcelona, more than five years after he fled the country.
According to the Crimestoppers website it is believed he had been using the name of John among other aliases and was thought to be working here as a funeral director.
Police had begun hunting for the 35 year old fugitive from Accrington after he failed to attend his trial at Preston Crown Court in June 2005.
Stuart had originally been arrested in July 2004 for the possession of 20,000 ecstasy tablets.
And was subsequently charged with two offences; conspiracy to supply, and possession with intent to supply a Class A drug, which earned him a place on the most wanted list.
He now becomes the 36th person to be arrested from an original list of 50 included in Operación Captura led by the Serious Organised Crime Agency and Crimestoppers.
Director General of SOCA, Trevor Pearce, welcomed the arrest as “another excellent result for our partnership with Spain”.
He said: “It would seem that plenty of British fugitives and criminals still haven’t worked out that basing themselves in Spain is not a particularly smart move.
“We won’t stop coming after them – and the Spanish Police are more than happy to arrest them and get them sent back to the UK.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00