By Wendy Williams
WANTED for robbing 15 banks along the Levante coast and the Costa del Sol they were like a modern day Bonnie and Clyde.
But now the British man aged 49, with initials D.J.K and his 32-year-old Russian accomplice, I.D., have been arrested following a five month investigation by Malaga’s Guardia Civil, in an operation code-named ‘Flandes’.
The pair, who has been linked to a string of bank robberies, was arrested by undercover police at a motorway toll booth near Marbella following a hold-up in the town of Torrox, last Friday.
Nearly 9000 euros, along with the disguises allegedly used in the bank raids and a gun, were recovered in the getaway car.
But police believe the pair may have stolen a total 115,000 euro over the past three years.
Like something out of a film the pair would don wigs, sunglasses, a moustache and a false beard to carry out the robberies.
And according to a spokesman for the Civil Guard in Malaga they always acted together with the same modus operandi.
He said: “The woman rang a bell to get into the bank and when staff let her in; her companion went in behind her with a gun in his hand.
“In some cases, employees had a pistol held to their heads.”
Police had been trying to catch the runaways since April after a robbery at a bank in Mijas.
The spokesman said: “Thanks to security cameras installed in the banks and collaboration from witnesses who saw the raids, the couple was identified when they were arrested.
“Although the investigation began this year, the Civil Guard has established during its inquiries that the couple could have first struck in 2008.
“At the moment, they have been named as official suspects in 15 bank raids committed over the past three years.”
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00