By Wendy Williams
WANTED for robbing 15 banks along the Levante coast and the Costa del Sol they were like a modern day Bonnie and Clyde.
But now the British man aged 49, with initials D.J.K and his 32-year-old Russian accomplice, I.D., have been arrested following a five month investigation by Malaga’s Guardia Civil, in an operation code-named ‘Flandes’.
The pair, who has been linked to a string of bank robberies, was arrested by undercover police at a motorway toll booth near Marbella following a hold-up in the town of Torrox, last Friday.
Nearly 9000 euros, along with the disguises allegedly used in the bank raids and a gun, were recovered in the getaway car.
But police believe the pair may have stolen a total 115,000 euro over the past three years.
Like something out of a film the pair would don wigs, sunglasses, a moustache and a false beard to carry out the robberies.
And according to a spokesman for the Civil Guard in Malaga they always acted together with the same modus operandi.
He said: “The woman rang a bell to get into the bank and when staff let her in; her companion went in behind her with a gun in his hand.
“In some cases, employees had a pistol held to their heads.”
Police had been trying to catch the runaways since April after a robbery at a bank in Mijas.
The spokesman said: “Thanks to security cameras installed in the banks and collaboration from witnesses who saw the raids, the couple was identified when they were arrested.
“Although the investigation began this year, the Civil Guard has established during its inquiries that the couple could have first struck in 2008.
“At the moment, they have been named as official suspects in 15 bank raids committed over the past three years.”
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00