EXCLUSIVE By Wendy Williams
THIS year’s WOW Factor competition has been cancelled following a sex scandal involving its organiser.
The competition has been scrapped, after DJ Maurice Boland – aka Mr Marbella – was sacked from his job at Talk Radio Europe for an indiscretion with a teenage girl.
Spain’s answer to the X Factor, which was in its second year, was due to hold its final next month.
It is not known if the event, which raised thousands for cancer charity Cudeca, will be rescheduled for next year.
A comment on its website read: “Due to unforeseen circumstances beyond our control this year’s WOW Factor competition has been cancelled.”
Meanwhile, Boland has issued a statement admitting his affair with a 16-year-old girl, who competed last year.
Following the Olive Press exclusive, Boland told the Irish press that he was “sincerely sorry” for his indiscretion.
When asked about the girl, who attends SIS Sotogrande International School, he explained: “It was a very short involvement and it was never planned. Some of these things just happen.
“The reason that anyone is showing any interest is because of the girl’s age, but I’ve done nothing illegal. It was just a misjudgement on my behalf.”
Boland insisted his wife of 40 years, Wendy, was standing by him and explained that he would be “withdrawing from public life” for the foreseeable future.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00