EXCLUSIVE By Wendy Williams
THIS year’s WOW Factor competition has been cancelled following a sex scandal involving its organiser.
The competition has been scrapped, after DJ Maurice Boland – aka Mr Marbella – was sacked from his job at Talk Radio Europe for an indiscretion with a teenage girl.
Spain’s answer to the X Factor, which was in its second year, was due to hold its final next month.
It is not known if the event, which raised thousands for cancer charity Cudeca, will be rescheduled for next year.
A comment on its website read: “Due to unforeseen circumstances beyond our control this year’s WOW Factor competition has been cancelled.”
Meanwhile, Boland has issued a statement admitting his affair with a 16-year-old girl, who competed last year.
Following the Olive Press exclusive, Boland told the Irish press that he was “sincerely sorry” for his indiscretion.
When asked about the girl, who attends SIS Sotogrande International School, he explained: “It was a very short involvement and it was never planned. Some of these things just happen.
“The reason that anyone is showing any interest is because of the girl’s age, but I’ve done nothing illegal. It was just a misjudgement on my behalf.”
Boland insisted his wife of 40 years, Wendy, was standing by him and explained that he would be “withdrawing from public life” for the foreseeable future.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00