OVER a dozen Brits, including at least one pensioner, have been arrested in a huge Spanish drugs swoop.
The group of 13 – including four women – were picked up for selling ecstacy and cannabis on the Costa Blanca and the party island of Ibiza.
Spanish police seized 53,000 ecstasy pills and 100 cannabis plants during the swoop.
The gang, who all come from Liverpool, are accused of producing and distributing the “designer” drugs from a base in Alicante.
They are also suspected of links to money laundering and identity fraud.
Investigators said one gang member was arrested as he tried to smuggle thousands of ecstasy pills from the port of Denia to suppliers in Ibiza hidden in the doors of a car.
The rest of the group were captured in the Torrevieja area of the Costa Blanca on September 27.
Vehicles, mobile phones and cash were also confiscated, along with some cocaine found on the premises.
The 13 remain in custody following their arrest in conjunction with the UK’s Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca).
Ken Gallagher of Soca said: “This criminal gang was treating the UK as a distribution centre for the drugs they peddled in Spain.”
He said the group were “harming not only the British community and holidaymakers in Spain but also harming the UK itself through their extended drug dealing”.
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48