MALAGA just pipped Cadiz for having the most profitable hotels in Spain.
According to report by Exceltur, an association of the leading Spanish tourism companies, hotel revenues on the Costa del Sol have received a huge boost this summer putting them ahead of the nation.
Marbella and Estepona are leading the group for the highest revenues from June to August, with 119 and 96.90 euros per room.
And following up closely are Tarifa, Chiclana and Conil de la Frontera.
However Exceltur warns there is a significant disparity in the profitability of various regions.
It said: “The five-star establishments are those that have raised the average of all the hotels, they have performed better this summer, an average increase of 12.2 per cent.”
And the report showed when it comes to the luxury sector Marbella is way out front with an income of almost 166 euros for each room in a five star hotel.
At the top end of the scale the average profitability for beds in Spain stands at 102.5 euros which far exceeds the national average across all sectors.
But according to the association, although the industry still has a way to go before it returns to the figures of 2008, the current average of 55.90 euros reflects a steady recovery with a global increase of 5.4 per cent over last season.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00