A HOUSING inspection in the Almanzora Valley has unveiled there are a staggering 12,697 illegal properties in the area, the majority owned by expats.
Of these 920 have been built on specially protected land or are less than four years old and now face demolition.
But the Junta insists a decree is being established that will likely see the remaining 11,777 houses legalised.
The news was announced by the Minister for Housing and Planning, Josefina Cruz, at a meeting with the Mayors of ten municipalities.
It comes just a week after it was announced 11,000 houses in the Axarquia are also to be legalised.
But many residents are sceptical of the new announcement.
“The government has had seven years to deal with this issue and now suddenly two months before an election there is a new decree? The timing is a bit fishy in our view,” said Maura Hillen, president of homeowners association Abusos Urbanisticos Almanzora NO (AUAN).
She added: “12,697 illegal buildings in the Almanzora Valley and nobody noticed?” “Where was the Junta when the houses were being built? “
“And how many people will be made homeless and/or lose their life savings if 920 houses are demolished to ‘restore order’?
“Who’s going to compensate those who bought in good faith?” she continued.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46