IT kicked off over a quiet beer between a music fan and a musician.
Bar owner Paul Darwent and friend Markus, a guitarist and singer, were wondering how they could get a bigger gig together in the mountains.
“And within a couple of months we had organised our first Allioli Music Festival,” explains Paul, who runs the popular Bar Allioli, in Jimera de Libar, in the Guadiaro Valley.
The event in 2009 proved to be a roaring success, with the Spanish locals particularly enjoying the antics of tree surgeon Kit Hogg and his glam rock band Biagra, who herald from nearby Gaucin.
Last year the event got bigger, taking place at a local camp site, but despite being an idyllic setting, it has been decided to hold it again in the square in front of Darwent’s bar.
This year as well as Biagra, who are headlining the event on June 18, there will be the popular Celtic fusion, motown and rock group the Stolen Gnomes.
Meanwhile Costa del Sol musician John Wild has put together a Rock & Roll combo with Mel Williams, who is one of the Lonnie Donnegan crowd. Rock ‘n’ Roll ‘n’ Sunshine! The Reverend Richard John should delight all lovers of blues and soul music.
A marquee will be erected and there are a number of stalls selling artisan products, gifts and a range of foods, in particular, a South African Braai.
The event is also scheduled to launch the Allioli Weisse Bier made by Kettal a microbrewery in Los Barrios.
The seven hours of music starts at 1pm when the train arrives from Algeciras. The last train goes at 8.15pm and everything will start winding down around 10pm. There is an entrance fee of two euros to help cover the cost of the music.
Visit www.barallioli.com for more info.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46