By Sally King
MP Jeremy Browne has encouraged British residents to get the most out of living in Spain by taking a number of simple steps.
In particular, the Consular Minister of State for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office – in Spain for just one day as part of the British Consulate’s Open Day Roadshow – urged expats to put their names on the Padrón.
“Registering on the Padrón gives you access to some benefits and social care, and can mean significant savings on certain community charges and inheritance tax,” he said.
Royal British Legion country welfare officer Donna Wilson and Age Concern country manager Sarah Rogers also encouraged people to volunteer and to become involved in the community.
The day, held in Alhaurin el Grande on June 15, was designed to inform people from the UK who are living in Spain what services they are entitled to through the British Consular network.
Up to a million British citizens live in Spain for part or all of the year and Spain has one of the busiest British Consulates in the world.
In fact Malaga Consulate provides consular support to an estimated 450,000 British residents and some three million British visitors each year.
For more information people are encouraged to visit http://www.ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/ .
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46