By James Bryce
GRANADA will host Spanish giants Barcelona and Real Madrid next season after winning promotion to La Liga on Saturday.
The club will compete in Spain’s top division for the first time in 35 years, capping a dramatic ascent which has seen them rise from the fourth division in just six years.
Promotion was sealed after the Andalucian side’s 1-1 draw with Alicante-based Elche in the Spanish second division play off final second-leg.
The draw followed a goalless first leg, meaning Granada were awarded promotion on the away goals rule.
Andalucia will be well represented in the division next season with Sevilla, Real Betis and Malaga set to compete alongside Granada.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02