A DUTCH woman who was found alive after 18 days trapped down a ravine has admitted she ‘felt a little stupid’ for getting lost.
On returning to the Netherlands, Mary Anne Goossens, 48, talked about her ordeal when she got stuck on a hike in the hills above Nerja.
The mother-of-two – who vanished while undertaking the Rio Chillar canyon walk – decided it was best to stay put near to the waterfall so she would have water to drink.
“It seemed the most intelligent thing to do,” she told a press conference near her home in Stamproy.
Her main fear was being confronted by a snake on her tiny ledge of land between two waterfalls, where she got trapped.
The librarian admitted she felt ‘ a little stupid’ for getting lost, in particular because she had left her hotel in Nerja without giving any details of where she was going.
She also admitted not considering the fact that her mobile phone would not work.
Goossens – who vanished during a 10-day break – revealed to stop from feeling hungry she would imagine she was cooking her favourite dishes or would nibble small bits of wood, but stopped short of eating ants.
Her main survival technique was remaining optimistic.
Each night she would repeat to herself, ‘tomorrow they will rescue me’.
“I sent mental text messages to my two children,” she added.
Her cries for help were eventually heard by a group of hikers who were walking along the river bank.
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00