A DUTCH woman who was found alive after 18 days trapped down a ravine has admitted she ‘felt a little stupid’ for getting lost.
On returning to the Netherlands, Mary Anne Goossens, 48, talked about her ordeal when she got stuck on a hike in the hills above Nerja.
The mother-of-two – who vanished while undertaking the Rio Chillar canyon walk – decided it was best to stay put near to the waterfall so she would have water to drink.
“It seemed the most intelligent thing to do,” she told a press conference near her home in Stamproy.
Her main fear was being confronted by a snake on her tiny ledge of land between two waterfalls, where she got trapped.
The librarian admitted she felt ‘ a little stupid’ for getting lost, in particular because she had left her hotel in Nerja without giving any details of where she was going.
She also admitted not considering the fact that her mobile phone would not work.
Goossens – who vanished during a 10-day break – revealed to stop from feeling hungry she would imagine she was cooking her favourite dishes or would nibble small bits of wood, but stopped short of eating ants.
Her main survival technique was remaining optimistic.
Each night she would repeat to herself, ‘tomorrow they will rescue me’.
“I sent mental text messages to my two children,” she added.
Her cries for help were eventually heard by a group of hikers who were walking along the river bank.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00