SPANISH surgeons performed the world’s first double leg transplant on Sunday night.
The 14-hour procedure – involving an unidentified accident victim who had lost both legs above the knee – took place at La Fe Hospital in Valencia.
A regional health authority statement said: “It is the first time in the world that such a transplant has been carried out.”
The doctor in charge of the operation, Pedro Cavadas, has performed several transplants in Spain.
In October 2008 he carried out Spain’s first double arm transplant – the second in the world – while in August 2009 he performed the first face transplant in Spain.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02