A NEW book has been written in honour of George Henderson, a hero who was awarded the George Cross 60 years after dying in an incident in Gibraltar.
The Scotsman had died after coming to the rescue of colleagues in the so-called Bedenham Incident, when a ship exploded as its cargo of ammunition was being unloaded onto a barge.
He was one of 13 people killed in the horrific blaze; after he boarded the ship to hose it down to try to prevent a further explosion.
Now, on the 60th anniversary of his death, Henderson’s heroism has been commemorated in the book GC On The Rock by Terry Hissey, which is to be published by the Civil Defence Association.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02