ECOLOGISTS in the Axarquia have gone head to head with the mayor of Competa over tree felling.
The local branch of Ecologistas en Accion has submitted a denuncia against Jose Luis Torres for what it calls ‘a breach’ of the principles of sustainable tourism in ‘ordering several trees to be cut down in the few green spaces in the town.’
It comes after the mayor instructed several trees to be felled in the town despite making personal assurances last year that ‘he would not touch the trees beyond routine pruning.’
Residents believed they had successfully petitioned to save the trees from ‘imminent’ deforestation.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02