HAVING written recently about how noisy Spain is – something described by many a writer on Spain going back decades – Paul Whitelock has discovered some interesting new noises that have recently added themselves to the local repertoire around where he lives in the Serranía de Ronda.
Natural noises that have come to our attention are The Frog Chorus – quite deafening, but somehow bearable, cos it’s the sound of nature.
Woody Woodpecker in the next door pine tree likewise. Don’t know how he doesn’t get a headache?
Cooing doves break the silence from time to time as does the high-pitched zzzzp! of a mosquito in the room at night, despite our attempts to keep them out. Another night sound is our rescue dog snoring as she dreams her sweet doggy dreams.
Artificial or manufactured noise largely comes in the early hours.
The daily whoossshhh of the automatic lawn sprinkers before dawn, followed by the sound of reveille at the Spanish Foreign Legion over the road, and the swimming pool filter slowly doing its job of keeping the pool water fresh and clean.
7.45 am and it’s the toot of Adrián the baker’s van as he rolls up outside to sell his freshly baked bread.
The weekends are marked by the unmistakeable low roar of the burners on the hot air balloons that fly over Ronda, and the wedding celebrations that go on till dawn on most Saturday nights at one, or both, of the nearby hotels.
Am I complaining?
No, none of these bother me greatly – it’s the barking dogs that are the worst! But, hey, it’s Spain, the campo, there are dogs and dogs bark!
- Jack Frost in Andalucía - 9 Mar, 2012 @ 10:45
- High-speed rail route through Ronda shelved? - 16 Feb, 2012 @ 17:51
- Help, help me, Ronda! - 10 Feb, 2012 @ 15:49
- Doppelgängers in Andalucía - 21 Jan, 2012 @ 10:54
- Review of 2011… from the mountains - 31 Dec, 2011 @ 23:59
- Wet, wet, wet! - 26 Dec, 2011 @ 18:33
- My Top 10 places to visit around Ronda - 16 Nov, 2011 @ 10:39
- AVE high speed trains coming to Ronda - 6 Nov, 2011 @ 21:16
- Spanish irrigation unravelled - 26 Oct, 2011 @ 09:32
- My Top 10 places in Ronda - 12 Oct, 2011 @ 09:10