A ROW has broken out over the reintroduction of a beauty contest banned in 2007 to discourage the ‘objectification of women’.
The Alternativa Mijena-Los Verdes party (AM+LV) is furious that the event has been resurrected in Mijas this week.
The group is unhappy with the Miss Villa de Mijas contest which, it claims, judges its contestants solely on their ‘aesthetic value’.
A spokesman described the contest as ‘discriminatory and sexist’, adding: “What should we do with girls who have big ears, bug eyes or are chubby?
“Should we have them undergo surgery, should we put them on a diet so they can participate in the fair?”
The new PP leader of Mijas Angel Nozal brushed off the charges insisting that it had been brought back by popular demand, even from women’s groups.
A spokesman said: “We are recovering a local tradition that was lost when the previous administration decided to cancel the pageant,” said a spokesman.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46