THE Green political party Equo Malaga has stepped in to save Ronda’s stunning Tajo gorge from urban sprawl and is calling on Unicaja to buy Casa Rua.
The group argues that the bank has a duty to buy the 15 hectare land as part of its ‘Social Work’ project in recognition of the generations of Ronda citizens who contributed to the Caja de Ahorros de Ronda which formed the basis of Unicaja.
In addition, the group’s candidate for the House of Representatives, Javier de Luis publically expressed his support for the protest that took place on Sunday organised by the Plataforma en Defensa del Tajo.
More than a hundred people gathered to demand a halt to a ‘crazy’ scheme which will see 22 houses and a luxury hotel built on the site of the Casa Rua.
Opponents insist the development will have a ‘major visual impact’ on the famous landscape and have been fighting the scheme since it was first proposed in 1980.
With shouts of ‘the landscape cannot be sold’ demonstrators marched from the Plaza Espana to the Casa Rua on Sunday morning to make their point heard.
“We are not going to enter into the debate of the legality of the project, we are just asking for the developers and municipal government to show some sensitivity and common sense,” said a spokesman.
“The greatest resource that Ronda has is its landscape,” he added.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46