SPANISH tennis ace Rafael Nadal has snubbed the Queen’s Club tennis tournament in favour of a rival competition in Germany.
The world number two traditionally competes in the event – which he won in 2008 – as a warm up ahead of Wimbledon.
But next year Nadal will be absent from the west London club after agreeing an 850,000 euro deal with the organisers of the Gerry Weber Open at Halle.
“Rafa will not be with us next year,” confirmed tournament director Chris Kermode.
“It’s disappointing, but we know how much he enjoys our event and we hope to be welcoming him back soon.”
Defending champion Andy Murray is almost certain to be at Queen’s though, along with other favourites including Andy Roddick and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02