EXCLUSIVE by James Bryce
A DANGEROUS British paedophile arrested in Spain last week allegedly sexually assaulted a teenager, who he had offered free board and lodging.
Dominic Powell, 48 – who was seized within hours of a new Crimestoppers appeal – had allegedly jumped on the girl in a sex attack.
Powell, described by the authorities as a ‘very high risk’ sex offender, had been deported from Ireland and earlier the US after serving half of a 15-year sentence for child abuse.
But somehow, he was able to leave the UK in January 2009 and became immersed into the expat community on the Costa del Sol.
That was until Powell – who went by the name ‘Dom’ – had made the move on the girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, two months ago.
A friend of the girl, who has now moved back to the UK, told the Olive Press: “She told me that he pinned her down on the sofa and started screaming that he loved her.
“Somehow she was able to force him off, but she was very scarred by the attack.”
The male friend, 19, who asked not to be named, continued: “A big group of lads went round to his flat the next day to confront him and get her stuff back.
“It was very heated and he ended up threatening them with a knife.”
He added: “She told me later that she had found a load of sickening child porn on his laptop.
“She had wanted to take it to the police, but was worried about what Dom would do if he found out, although I think someone did hand it in.”
Powell, who was running a timeshare operation in the town, paid workers 250 euros a week in cash to entice unsuspecting clients.
He was also a familiar face in the local English bars.
“He used to come down every day, often for breakfast as well,” revealed a barman in one.
“He always had money and often bought everyone a round.
“That was until it all kicked off with the girl in August and nobody’s seen him since.”
Another regular, Aimee, added: “He was very creepy, there was something about him you couldn’t quite put your finger on.”
Powell was arrested while walking down a Fuengirola street – wearing a white cardigan, khaki shorts and sandals – after police stepped up patrols in the area.
He is wanted by South Wales Police and is currently being held in Alhaurin Prison awaiting extradition.
He is the 47th out of 60 ‘Most Wanted’ criminals believed to be living in Spain, captured under Operation Captura.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46