EXCLUSIVE By Eloise Horsfield
A HEARTBROKEN expat has been forced to put down six of his dogs due to a lack of funds.
Kind-hearted builder Martin Perry, 43, was forced to have his beloved Staffordshire pitbulls injected at a vets in Alhaurin.
“I’m gutted,” said Martin, originally from Chelmsford. “I have had to kill six happy, healthy dogs.
“It is especially sad as they were rescue dogs and I’d made them a promise when I rescued them. Now I have had to break it.”
He had offered homes to Kikker, Frog, Pongo, Rana, Loki and Mella over three years.
Loki had been found abandoned in a cardboard box by a river, the only puppy alive in her litter, and Rana – a victim of illegal dog fighting – was found sitting in her own faeces.
“She had open sores up to her waist because of chafing from a chain,” explained Perry, who lives in Villa Franco, near Coin.
The builder was able to give them a new lease of life at his rented finca, but after the housing crisis caused a dry up in his work, he started to feel the pinch.
Then when his wife, a chef, was not paid for three months, it was the final straw and the couple are now being evicted.
Despite several attempts to temporarily rehouse them with the help of Coin animal shelter CHAIN nobody came forward.
“Nobody would take them because of their breed, but they were as soft as butter,” he added.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02