WHO said the British were rubbish at languages?
Student Alex Rawlings, 20, can speak a total of 11 and is still learning more.
The Oxford grad showed he had fluency, or near fluency, in the languages to win the Harper Collins nationwide search for the most multilingual student in Britain.
Of the 50 entrants, half spoke four languages or more and were tested by native-speaking judges.
For the record Rawlings speaks French, Spanish, German, Italian, Greek, Catalan, Dutch, Hebrew, Afrikaans, Russian (and English).
Rawlings, who is studying Russian and German, grew up in London, with a Greek mother, who also spoke to him in French.
Actor Stephen Fry was so impressed he expressed his awe via Twitter.
You can see Rawlings showing his skills at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17107435.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10