IF you’re having pains in your legs it could point to blockages in your blood vessels.
Years of heavy smoking, high-fat meals, and other factors will cause cholesterol, scar tissue and blood clots which build up inside your blood vessels.
Most people think this kind of clogged artery disease, or arteriosclerosis, only happens in the heart.
But it can happen throughout the body.
When it does, it’s called peripheral arterial disease, or PAD.
In some people, PAD causes leg pain that acts as an ‘early warning sign’ that someone is at high risk for a heart attack or a stroke.
Worryingly nearly a quarter of people who have leg pain due to PAD will be dead within five years, mostly due to heart attacks and other heart problems.
And for people whose leg pain keeps them from walking even short distances, the odds are even worse: as many as half will die within five years.
Fortunately, early diagnosis, treatment and life style changes can prevent serious complications before they happen.
Leg pain can be a wake-up call.
So take heed of the old saying, ‘Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.’
If you’re having any discomfort or pain in your legs consult your doctor and stay safe.
For more information visit www.simplecarehealthplan.com
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02