A BRITISH woman has died while hiking in 40-degree Spanish heat.
Wendy Richardson, 78, collapsed following a suspected heart attack during a guided walk which saw six other pensioners suffer health problems.
An air ambulance was sent to the scene in Gran Canaria but paramedics were unable to revive her.
Meanwhile two other female walkers were also taken to hospital suffering from severe breathing difficulties.
One of them was treated at the scene after having an apparent cardiac arrest.
Another four Britons, three men in their sixties and a woman, 61, were treated at the scene for heat-related problems.
The Canary Island’s tourist board said the trek should not have been allowed to take place following severe weather warnings for the region.
Elsewhere on Gran Canaria, another British pensioner died after falling down a ravine while walking with his wife.
Thomas Chaffy Willoughby, 74, was airlifted to a local football field, but efforts to revive him failed.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02