THIS was a comment made by the Brits sitting next to us in the Iglasia de la Encarnacion in Marbella, where we had just witnessed a most memorable performance of Mozart’s Requiem. He went on to mention that they had just returned from Saltzburg where they had attended many concerts but this topped them all.
The message must have got out that this was going to be special, because no one could remember an audience of this size in the church, indeed, they were standing in the aisle.
As a measure of their appreciation, those present gave a standing ovation for over five minutes, such that Annemarie Philipps (musical director) had to give an encore to satisfy them.
The performance was given by the COLLEGIUM MUSICUM Costa del Sol and CAMERATA SINGERS of Sotogrande under the ‘magical’ direction of Annemarie Philipps, celebrating her twentieth anniversary with the orchestra.
Although they classify themselves as amateurs, rarely would you find a more professional rendering of this wonderful work.
The professional soloists, who blended beautifully into the oratorio were Esmeralda Espinosa (soprano), Maria Rosas Perez Diaz (mezzo), Luis M. Pacetti (tenor) and Damian del Castillo (baritone).
The Requiem was preceded by an equally delightful performance of the allegro from Mozart’s Clarinet Concerto K622 by the soloist Juan Crisostomo Subiea.
If ever you see that the COLLEGIUM MUSICUM or the CAMERATA SINGERS are performing again – GO THERE and be moved to such an extent that you will not want it to finish.
- Maurice Bishop on one of the most enjoyable musical experiences of his 82 years!
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33