FORMER US Open winner Graeme McDowell is in danger of losing his place in the 2012 Ryder Cup team after missing out again in Spain.
The Northern Irishman is without a tournament win since December 2010, a run which continued with his recent defeat in the final of the Volvo World Match Play at Finca Cortesin Golf Club near Casares.
The world number 21 will hope to repeat his 2010 heroics in the US Open this week, knowing that his place in the European team is in the balance.
Speaking after his defeat to Belgian Nicolas Colsaerts on the Costa del Sol, McDowell said: “I’m disappointed obviously, but I’m taking nothing away from Nicolas, he played fantastic golf.
“He’s got a great wind game (there were gusts of over 30mph) and he’s a fantastic talent – I got beat by the better man.
“He really killed me off the tee box and flighted his irons fantastic.
“I would have preferred to get beat with birdies as opposed to pars, but that’s just the way the course was set up this week.
“But he had to deal with the same elements I did and that’s life.”
The tournament is the only match play event to be held in Europe this season and featured 15 of the world’s top 60 players.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02