A BRITISH rower who got into difficulty while attempting a solo crossing of the Pacific has been rescued by a Gibraltar-registered ship.
Charlie Martell, 42, was 34 days into his record-breaking attempt to cross from Japan to America when he ran into 50ft waves during a tropical storm.
He was left with an anxious two-day wait for the arrival of the Gibraltar ship Last Tycoon, which had been alerted to his plight 700 miles from land by the Japanese coast guard.
A message on his website read: “Charlie is hugely grateful to the crew of the MV Last Tycoon for their assistance and professionalism in recovering him and his boat.”
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46