By Helen Pierpoint
KING Juan Carlos and son Prince Felipe will have their annual salaries reduced by 7 per cent as the latest austerity measures hit Spain.
Queen Sofia and Felipe’s wife, Princess Letizia, will also have their expenses cut.
In total, the royal budget of €8.3 million per year will decrease by €100,000 in 2012.
According to the Royal Palace, the family accepted the cuts voluntarily to show solidarity with the public sector whose wages will be reduced in an attempt to control Spain’s massive deficit.
The gesture has had a mixed reception on social media, with some even joking the royal family may struggle to make ends meet.
- Forecast gloomy for hotels on the Costa del Sol - 21 Jul, 2012 @ 17:25
- Spain’s Royal family takes pay cut - 20 Jul, 2012 @ 10:30
- Brit denies bar shooting in Spain - 19 Jul, 2012 @ 12:13
- Algarrobico hotel to get the chop despite amnesty for Costa del Sol properties - 17 Jul, 2012 @ 13:32
- Brit compares Pamplona bull goring to being stabbed - 14 Jul, 2012 @ 15:49
- Gibraltar hits back at Spanish ‘delaying tactic’ claims - 14 Jul, 2012 @ 12:16
- The jet-set lifestyle of expat arrested in connection with €6 million fraud - 14 Jul, 2012 @ 10:33
- Lioness found living in Spanish urbanisation - 14 Jul, 2012 @ 09:30
- Half of the arrested protestors in Madrid have been released - 14 Jul, 2012 @ 08:00
- Tarifa: Where the wind blows - 13 Jul, 2012 @ 15:45