A FAMILY from Gibraltar have described their terror after being caught up in an armed carjacking on the Costa del Sol.
The husband and wife, who wish to remain anonymous, were travelling with their young son along the A-7 toll road near Calahonda when the incident occurred in broad daylight.
They looked on in horror as four armed men, believed to be African, forced their way into a black Mercedes next to their car as they waited to pass through the ticket barrier.
“The men were unmasked and wearing casual summer clothes, but they were shouting ‘open the door or we’ll shoot’,” said the Gibraltarian, who is now being treated by police as a key witness.
“My wife and son both crouched down to the bottom of the car in case a shot went off, and I shut my window and locked all doors.
“It all happened within a couple of minutes and left us in shock. My son in particular was shaking.”
A spokesman for Royal Gibraltar Police confirmed they are liaising with the family and ‘assisting Spanish police with their enquiries’.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36