By Elizabeth Gould
WE arrived at Sherwood Forest on a glorious warm afternoon.
It was something of a pleasant surprise after what many of our friends called the wettest summer on record.
We were staying in one of the luxury wood cabins of the Forest Holidays Park , nestled in 3000 hectares of Forestry Commission land, hidden among pine and birch trees.
We had a silver birch cabin which was stunning and had a natural and contemporary feel with solid wood furniture and under floor heating. Best of all, it was environmentally-friendly being built from FEC sustainable timber.
It provided the perfect living space with huge windows with wonderful views of the forest.
There was an in-house entertainment system featuring a wide range of films and on our terrace we had a hot tub.
At night sitting with a glass of champagne looking at the stars through the trees was a magical experience, tt was great to be in such a tranquil environment surrounded by nature.
We went for wonderful walks and saw many different species of butterflies. We also hired bikes for the day and explored some of the bike trails around the forest, there are even archery lessons available for those who wish to become a modern day Robin Hood.
There are also various ranger-led activities available and we opted for the night vision experience, equipped with night vision equipment we watched fallow deer and searched for bats and owls.
The staff at reception also run the lovely cafe and a grocery store stocking locally sourced products.
This was a truly memorable break being located in the heart of nature with so many wonderful walks and things to do.
Forest Holidays have cabins in seven locations in the UK.
The prices for a luxury cabin for a three night weekend break are from €300. There is a 15% discount on half term breaks in October.
For details call 0845 1308223 or visit www.forestholidays.co.uk
- Spanish Mirador bosses sentenced to two years in prison - 29 Oct, 2012 @ 08:30
- Woman searching for cousin on Costa del Sol - 26 Oct, 2012 @ 16:05
- Spanish test driver recalls UK crash ordeal - 25 Oct, 2012 @ 08:00
- The hiking trails of Mijas - 24 Oct, 2012 @ 09:30
- Estepona hospital plan back on the go - 21 Oct, 2012 @ 15:38
- Spanish scientists to explore Saturn moon - 21 Oct, 2012 @ 08:16
- Things that go bump in the night: Spanish ghosts and ghouls - 20 Oct, 2012 @ 11:53
- Spectacular Sayalonga - 18 Oct, 2012 @ 09:30
- British man found dead in Spain after yacht capsizes - 16 Oct, 2012 @ 14:19
- What your egg says about you - 14 Oct, 2012 @ 17:00