EXCLUSIVE by Frances Leate
A DOG owner who has spent more than €3,000 in vet bills trying to save two sick puppies has warned people to be wary when buying from pet shops.
Elly Meyer has told of her upset after one of the two chihuahua puppies she bought for €800 from Agrojardin, in Estepona, died of a lethal disease.
After placing a reserve on the two dogs – Brandy and Tequila – the pair became seriously ill with the highly contagious Canine Parvovirus Infection (CPV).
The family from Estepona immediately took the two month-old puppies to a vet but Tequila quickly died, while Brandy is still fighting for her life two weeks later.
Ms Meyer, originally from Munich, said: “It has been so heartbreaking for us to get these little things, fall in love with them then have them become so ill before we even got to take them home.
“We buried Tequila at the bottom of our garden; I can’t even tell you how upset my daughter has been.
“I know there will be lots of people thinking of buying a dog for Christmas but please make sure you meet the parents of the puppy before you buy one and check where they come from.
“The other is still on a drip at the vets and is suffering a lot with this terrible infection but we are hopeful she will pull through.”
The manager at Agrojardin insisted the centre had done everything it could to stop the virus from spreading and said all their dogs were now healthy.
She said: “The disease has gone now, we have disinfected all the cages and there are no more problems.”