ARGENTINE football legend Alfredo Di Stefano has announced plans to marry a woman 50 years his junior.
The 86-year-old said he intends to marry his Costa Rican personal assistant Gina Gonzalez, 36, later this month.
Di Stefano, who played for Real Madrid and is considered one of the football greats of all time, said he was aware his children might not approve of the union but was not concerned about what they thought.
He added: “I am interested in my life and nothing else. And not making a lot of trouble.
“They are going to have a go at me but I will take it with sincerity.”
Di Stefano helped guide Real Madrid to five successive European Cups from 1956 to 1960 and was named European player of the year in 1957 and 1959.
He met Gonzalez when she helped him prepare his autobiography in 2007, and she now works as his secretary, manager and representative.
It is thought that the nuptials will take place in less than a month’s time.
“I’m in love. I’m 86 years old but I’ve got a young heart,” Di Stefano added.
- EXCLUSIVE: Family found dead in Mijas were killed ‘up to two days apart’ - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 23:13
- Costa del Sol journalist faces new sex charges - 26 Jun, 2013 @ 11:00
- Messi in tax mess - 26 Jun, 2013 @ 09:00
- Millions of moths descend on Madrid - 25 Jun, 2013 @ 09:30
- Newborn baby rescued from drain in Alicante - 24 Jun, 2013 @ 13:59
- ‘Syria jihadist suspects’ arrested in Ceuta - 21 Jun, 2013 @ 10:32
- Spanish economy making ‘strong progress’ - 20 Jun, 2013 @ 13:15
- VIDEO: Man tackles runaway bull on Malaga street - 19 Jun, 2013 @ 11:57
- Austerity measures putting Spaniards’ lives at risk - 18 Jun, 2013 @ 11:46
- Rabies returns to Spain - 17 Jun, 2013 @ 14:02