FORMER PP treasurer Luis Barcenas is appealing his jail sentence, arguing that he is ‘not a flight risk’.
Barcenas was sent to Soto del Real prison on Monday after a Judge Pablo Ruz ruled that he had tampered with evidence in an ongoing investigation.
Prosecutors said the 57-year-old had been transferring money from his Swiss accounts to banks in the United States and Uruguay in the last few weeks.
The judge also deemed Barcenas, who is embroiled in several national scandals, to be a considerable flight risk.
Today, however, the former PP official made an appeal to the National Court claiming that he has complied with all conditions set by the judge in the three years of investigations.
Barcenas also mentioned that when travel conditions were originally placed on him, he immediately returned from a trip to Canada.
Yesterday, Judge Ruz requested the Swiss authorities to block a Lombard Odier bank account belonging to Barcenas.
The account is said to hold over €9 million and could be related to the ‘slush-fund scandal‘ Barcenas has been embroiled in since January of this year.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36