THE year of El Greco has kicked off in Toledo to mark the 400th anniversary of the painter’s death.
It has taken three years to plan and the celebrations will include a range of events, exhibitions and activities to mark the life of the Cretian artist who lived in the Spanish city before his death.
One hundred people will co-ordinate the bells of the 25 churches in a unique symphony directed by Valencian musician Llorenc Barber.
There will also be two exhibitions, the first starting on March 14 with 80 works of art from the world’s main collections and the second on September 8 ,focusing on how the artist worked.
Other exhibitions will open at the Prado Museum in Madrid on June 24 and the National Sculpture Museum in Valladolid, June 5.
The events are expected to attract around a million visitors.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40