A LEADING Marbella lawyer has accused the town mayor of tax evasion.
Antonio Flores insisted that her investment in an offshore equity release fund was a way to avoid paying fiscal obligations.
Maria Angeles Munoz had accused Flores, of Lawbird, of libel and ‘professional misconduct’ following allegations that she failed to properly declare a €3.1 million investment abroad.
The town hall’s legal team has lodged a complaint against Flores with the Law Society of Marbella.
“The Law Society has no power against us because it is a dispute between two private parties. The mayor is not a client and we have no legal relationship, so there is no ethical issue here,” insisted Flores.
When asked why the mayor had not gone to court, Flores said that a court hearing ‘causes a stir, and there is a lot of paper work’.
He alleged that the town hall have instead opted for ‘a dirty way to tarnish the image of a lawyer’.
Flores repeated his allegations that the equity release mortgage taken out by Munoz and her Swedish husband Lars Broberg with Swiss bank Nordea, via a joint company, is set up to avoid the 34% inheritance tax.
According to Flores’ explanation of the product, Nordea Bank is dedicated to international tax planning.
“Their goal is to help people, in a way that is more or less legal, to have to pay less tax,” he told the assembled press.
“In Spain they offer a product that, according to what their advertising says, is to legally avoid inheritance tax.”
Flores refused to retract his statements against the mayor and reminded her that, as she allegedly told eldiario.es, her reason for taking out the mortgage was ‘precisely to deal with inheritance tax’.
Flores concluded: “She has a relatively high salary, but it is not enough to be able to cover certain expenditures that she has made. She has to clarify this.”
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05