A FEMALE prisoner has committed suicide in Alhaurin de la Torre prison after she was arrested for failing to pay her suspended sentence fee.
The former housemaid, 60, was handed a six month sentence but it was suspended on the condition she committed no further crimes and paid back €3,784.34 in civil liability fees.
However, in February she was found to not be paying and could not be contacted. Her lawyer claimed she did not have the money to pay for the fines and asked if she could undertake community work instead.
This was refused and she was arrested and jailed the next day. Just five hours later she killed herself.
The woman, who had no previous convictions, was convicted of stealing various items of jewellery from her employers between 2011 and 2012, which she then sold on.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44