A GRANADA CF footballer has tested positive for cocaine and will now face a lengthy ban and large fine.
Midfielder Dani Benitez, 26, is on loan at Granada from Udinese in Italy- who have terminated his contract.
The Spaniard tested positive for the recreational drug after Granada’s 1-0 La Liga win over Real Betis in February. A game in which he was sent off after playing just 16 minutes as a substitute.
Granada President Quique Pina has spoken in support of the maximum punishment for Benitez, adding that he feels ‘personally betrayed’.
“Sport and football are for children and the whole world. Sport serves to care and to keep people on a straight line,” he said.
“News like this throws a bucket of cold water on all of that.”
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44