CRYSTAL-CLEAR waters, pink-tinted coral and golden sands have won a Spanish paradise a place in the world’s top ten beaches.
The Playa de ses Illetes, which graces the smallest Balearic island of Formentera, came sixth in the TripAdvisor Traveller Choice Beaches Awards for 2014.
Only accessible by ferry from Ibiza, the beach of Illetes stretches almost the entire length of the island – from La Savia to Espalmader – and offers a perfect spot to swim, snorkel and relax.
Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor, said: “For those fed up with the long cold winter, there’s real no better cure than an escape to one of these award-winning beaches.
“Even if you can’t go to one of these stunning beaches soon, just looking at the photos will take you away for a moment until you can plan a trip.”
The playa successfully fended off competition from some of the world’s more exotic locations to earn the award, based on ratings and reviews on TripAdvisor from the last 12 months.
One reviewer said: “When I first saw this beach I was in heaven, and I’ve gone back every year since.”
Another added: “It’s my favourite zen point in the world, I’ll never get tired of it. Paradise exists!”
The top three are the Baia do Sancho in Brazil, Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos, and the Flamenco Beach in Puerto Rico.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05