THE judge investigating the ERE slush fund scandal is being urged to send the case to the Supreme Court.
The Anti-corruption Attorney’s office insists that Judge Mercedes Alaya transfers the case, as the seven ex-Socialist officials under scrutiny cannot be tried in a regular court.
Leading officials Manuel Chaves and Jose Antonio Grinan, as well as five ex-regional commissioners, have parliamentary immunity that exempts them from a regular trial.
The officials are under scrutiny for their alleged role in the ERE scandal, a long-running fraud case involving a regional government fund.
In the biggest public money scam in Spanish history, the fund was allegedly used to disguise bogus early retirement payouts to individuals who had no right to the money.
The prosecution estimates that €140 million of public money were syphoned off between 2001 and 2010 from the fund, set up by the Andalucian government.
The Anti-corruption Attorney’s office also want the case to be broken up into several smaller units, to cope with the extent of the investigation.
Each section would deal with a different alleged crime relating to the ERE case.
Some of the areas specified include the people who collected benefits from companies they never worked for; the companies who received aid for non-existent restructuring; and the excessive fees charged by firms, mediators and the labour unions for services that were paid out by the regional government without any auditing.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05