GIBRALTAR has been rocked by a fire and an explosion in Engine Number One at the main power station.
There are reports of extensive power cuts across the Rock and telecoms have been affected too.
Some of Gibraltar’s online gambling businesses have been hit. Those confirmed to have been affected include William Hill, Ladbrokes and Betfred.
William Hill tweeted: “Please be aware that all services are currently down. We are aware of the issue and we are working extremely hard to fix it. We do apologise.”
Emergency services are at the scene and so far there are no reports of injuries.
However, it is believed that evacuations are taking place in urbanisations near the blaze as plumes of thick, black smoke rise from the scene of the incident. Other residents were advised to close windows and stay indoors
The blaze was swiftly controlled and engineers are now assessing the damage and it hoped to progressively start restoring the power supply.
The authorities have ruled out foul play, but have not yet revealed what caused the fire.
- Do you have photographs of the blaze? Email your photos to [email protected]
More to follow…
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33