AN incredible 15 suspects are being taken to court over the murder of a British holidaymaker in 2009.
Malaga court is to finally hear how father-of-three Stephen Mallon was thrown to his death off a bar terrace in Competa during a mass brawl.
One man is facing homicide charges, while 14 more face charges of aiding and abetting the tourist’s murder.
Mallon, 49, had gone out for a drink with his family at the La Estrella pub, in the mountain village, when the trouble started over a local girl, who his son had been talking to.
The girl’s ex-boyfriend allegedly threatened Mallon’s group and the situation quickly became so tense that the pub’s owner threw the Spanish out, but advised the Brits to stay inside.
When Mallon and his family finally left La Estrella, a mass brawl broke out with bottles and belts being used as weapons.
Mallon was hit over the head with a bottle and then pushed off the terrace of a nearby pizzeria, falling four metres.
He fell into a coma from which he never recovered, dying in Malaga Hospital 12 days later.
A total of 15 locals are to face trial from May 19.
The Public Prosecutor has asked that 13 should spend a year in prison for the crime of ‘being involved in a mass brawl’.
Meanwhile two of the accused face four years for causing injury with a dangerous object, while the person charged with homicide faces a 12-year-sentence.
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05