A HELICOPTER has crashed into power cables between Manilva and Casares, throwing its pilot down a ravine.
Emergency services are attempting to retrieve the body of the pilot – 200 metres from the site of the crash – with the aid of another helicopter.
Power company workers discovered damaged power cables and helicopter debris in the Sierra Utera ridge at 8am this morning, prompting them to call Guardia Civil.
Firefighters first attempted to retrieve the body on foot, but found the ravine made it impossible.
An investigation is now underway into the cause of the crash.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44