A SPANISH politician has slammed the whopping €720,000 Spain’s players will each receive if they win the World Cup.
The eye-watering sum is more than double that which their Brazilian and German counterparts stand to earn.
The winning country is set to receive €27 million in prize money.
Spanish captain Iker Casillas and vice-captain Xavi have agreed a deal over the bonuses players would receive from that sum with the Spanish football federation.
The news prompted one politician to tweet: “Spain will pay more than double the bonus that Germany will for the World cup. Are we twice as rich as Germany?”
But Spain’s manager Vincente del Bosque has hit back at the criticism, insisting he wants bonuses to be ‘entirely transparent’.
Meanwhile forward Juan Mata has emphasised money is no incentive for the players.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44