AS of midnight, June 19, Felipe VI has officially become Spain’s new king.
All of Thursday, the new king, his predecessor and father Juan Carlos, and other government officials will proceed with proclamation activities and celebrations throughout the day.
Already this morning, Juan Carlos has presented his son with the general’s sash, signifying Felipe’s official recognition as the new leader of the Armed Forces.
Felipe has also made speeches promising a “renovated monarchy for the modern era.”
The official proclamation at Parliament will be later today, with a parade through Madrid and reception at the Royal Palace to follow.
- Nutella prices to soar as world hazelnut crop suffers adverse weather - 16 Aug, 2014 @ 15:00
- Venezuelan woman arrested in Madrid for smuggling cocaine in fake breasts - 15 Aug, 2014 @ 13:31
- Marbella’s Starlite festival welcomes back Julio Iglesias for the third year in a row - 14 Aug, 2014 @ 15:02
- PICTURE SPECIAL: Andalucia’s top five natural swimming pools - 12 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain’s Felipe VI and Prime Minister Rajoy discuss escalating Ebola concerns - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 15:41
- Socialist culture secretary hits out at new taxes - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 12:00
- Leading economist to head investing talk at Benalmadena cycle event - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain’s crippling unemployment may be on the up - 11 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain urged to issue 50-year bond to help fill coffers - 10 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00
- Spain’s top SEO companies - 10 Aug, 2014 @ 10:00