ACTIVISTS from around the world gathered in Pamplona’s main square today, ahead of the ‘Running of the Bulls’ at the annual San Fermín festival.
Wearing the event’s famous white-and-red costumes and with their faces painted to look like the Grim Reaper, the protesters displayed “bloody” hands and multilingual signs that read, “You Run – Bulls Die” – a message to festivalgoers that the same bulls who slip and slide down Pamplona’s cobbled streets will all be stabbed to death in the town’s bullring.
“Many of the tourists who come to Pamplona to run with the bulls have no idea that they are participating in a festival that celebrates the torture and death of these magnificent animals, and if they did, most would undoubtedly run the other way”, says PETA campaign coordinator Kirsty Henderson. “We’re here to ask thrill seekers to find another way to get their kicks that doesn’t involve harming animals.”
PETA claim that bullfighting has been on the decline, with attendance decreasing and bullrings closing across countries that permit bullfights and the industry survives only because of huge subsidies and tourists who unwittingly fuel the events.
A recent poll showed that 76 per cent of Spanish people have no interest in bullfights.
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33