SCIENTISTS in Spain have made a shocking new discovery: white bread is good for you!
Researchers at the University of Oviedo in Asturias have found that white bread significantly boosts the number of ‘good’ microbes in the stomach, warding off disease and leading to better health.
Their findings consign previous claims that granary and wholemeal is healthier to the bread bin.
The research team reports that:
White bread’s added nutrients aid digestive bacteria, boosting the immune system.
It contains folate, a mood-enhancing essential B vitamin.
Four slices contain the same amount of calcium as a 100g pot of yogurt and 12g of protein, a fourth of women’s daily requirement and a fifth of men’s.
If white really is the new brown, it could see pride of place on the supermarket shelves being given back to that old pre-granary favourite, Mother’s Pride!
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05