FORMER Malaga CF goalkeeper Willy Caballero has issued a tearful goodbye to fans and team-mates after leaving for Manchester City.
The Argentine will be re-united with former Malaga boss Manuel Pellegrini after completing his transfer to the current Premiership champions, a move which was speculated over for several years.
The incredibly popular keeper, and former club captain, flew back to Malaga because he didn’t get a chance to properly say goodbye before the transfer.
In an emotional press conference, he explained the move was an important step he needed to take in his career.
“I’m leaving a club where I’ve been very happy, because I was treated phenomenally well, like I’ve never experienced anywhere else and this affection is something I’ll take with me wherever I go,” he told fans and journalists.
“In my heart, I’ll take all that affection and hopefully it will be reciprocal. I always tried to give everything I could for this team and these colours.
“I came back today to say goodbye, because I think it’s more dignified to do things this way. Hopefully the doors will remain open for me to return one day.
“A part of my heart will always stay here and the other part is going to England.
“Now all I would like to do is wish the very best of luck to all my former team-mates. I’m really going to miss them all and I’ll keep trying to grow as both a player and a person.”
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44